This is from member Sandy Brodeur.
Lou Brodeur says that the Mortlake Barbecue started around 60 years ago. It was Tom Hayden's (anyone remember him? I worked with him at American Standard in Plainfield.) idea for a fund raiser. The chickens were cooked at a farm in Canterbury and brought to the Brooklyn Fair Grounds. The members' wives made salads and potatoes. The town came and stood in line for their dinners then everyone ate together in one of the buildings. (The Better Living Building wasn't around then.)
After they ate, they had turkey shooting, played bingo, and enjoyed the day.
So this isn't just a fund raiser for Mortlake. It's like an annual tradition for Brooklyn. We have made it work by selling our tickets in advance by going door to door in town. I really enjoy doing this. I get to meet so many wonderful people and to see up close and personal their lovely homes. We learned that we can't be successful at this if we don't go door to door. People miss seeing us and forget the barbecue.
We are getting horrendous rainfalls on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays that make us cancel our selling events. We will try adding a Monday (next week) and two Fridays to see if we can make up for the missed nights.
Meanwhile, maybe the community can help us by reaching out to us for tickets. We will be very happy to deliver them to you.
Thanks, Brooklyn! ... See more
We had a little fun during training tonight... nobody complained about getting a little wet on a warm July night!!
It's that time again! The Mortlake Fire Company will be hosting their annual chicken BBQ on July 30th from 11:30am - 3:00pm. Full dinners are $10, and Chicken and chips are only $6. Ticket sales have already begun. Be on the lookout for the trucks, as we go door to door selling tickets. If we miss you at home, you can also get your tickets at the Brooklyn Walmart on Sunday July 16th from 10am -1pm. Tickets are also available on a first come, first serve basis at the door, the day of the event. As always, this is take out only. Hope to see you there! ... See more
Here's the article to go with the photo gallery. We can't begin to thank everyone enough for all their help and support. A special shout out to our brothers and sisters at Central Village ST97 for the use of their facilities. We couldn't have done it without you!!! ... See more
“Fire companies are families. When a member like Michelle steps up to do something like this, all I can do is support her.”
Smoke Alarms & Carbon Monoxide
Have you changed the batteries in your alarms lately?
To help reduce the number of home fatalities, make sure you have working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your homes.
Smoke Alarm Central
CO Safety Tips
Safe Home Heating
Did you know that heating equipment is one of the leading causes of home fire deaths?
There are a few easy safety tips and precautions you can do to prevent most heating fires in your home.
Home Heating Safety
Do you know where to go in the case of a fire?
You may have only a few minutes to get out safely once the smoke alarm sounds. Make sure everyone knows what to do and where to go.
Escape Planning Tips
Cooking is a lot of fun but did you know that cooking fires are the #1 cause of home fires and injuries?
With a few quick steps you can prevent these types of events from happening in your home.
Cooking Safety Tips
When storms take out the power many turn to portable generators as a temporary solution.
Here are a few quick tips to ensure they are used safely to power your house.
Generator Tip Sheet
Thunder and lightning storms are a common occur during the summer months in New England
Follow these few tips to keep your family safe when they strike.
Outdoor Cooking Safety Safety
Outdoor Cooking is one of the more popular ways to cook food but there are some risks.
Here are a few simple tips to keep you safe while grilling or frying
Turkey Fryer Information